Monday, January 11, 2016

Ghana: Electoral body refutes Nigerian citizenship claims

Ghana's Electoral Commission Chair says she does not qualify to be a Nigerian under Ghana's 1992 Constitution, despite claims to the contrary by her critics.

"My mother was married to a Nigerian – my stepfather. He died after five years in the marriage. So, that makes me Nigerian?

"I went to school in Nigeria; my early education, so that makes me a Nigerian? I also went to school in Canada, so, I guess that makes me Canadian.

"And my stepmother – my father's wife, who is also a mother to me – has been married to my father for more than 40 years. She's an Akyem, so, I guess that makes me Akyem as well. We thank God she's not Chinese, that’ll probably make me Chinese as well," Mrs Charlotte Osei told Nii Arday Clegg in an interview on Monday.

"Under … [the 1992 Constitution] I don't qualify to be a Nigerian," she said.

Mrs Osei also confessed that she wished she had not taken the job because it was "difficult" sometimes also denied ever running as a parliamentary candidate for the governing National Democratic Congress (NDC) as had been alleged by her critics. She said she was apolitical and did not even know who to vote for in the 2016 elections.

Additionally, Mrs Osei lauded her predecessor Dr Kwadwo Afari-Gyan, describing him as an icon as far as elections are concerned in Africa and the world.

Source: Ghana/ClassFMonline.com/91.3fm

No comments:

Post a Comment