Wednesday, September 2, 2015

Ghana: Aspiring Assemblyman dies after disqualification

The fisherman who sued the Electoral Commission (EC) for preventing him from filing his nomination to contest the District Assembly Elections, seems to have been vindicated, following his victory in the Ayipey electoral area in the Central Region.

His decision to sue the EC, forced the postponement of the elections from March to September, after the Supreme Court ruled in his favour.

Eyi Mensah polled 1,063 votes to beat the incumbent, Ebenezer Mensah who secured 583.

Speaking to Citi News shortly after he was declared winner, the elated Benjamin Eyi Mensah attributed his victory to his hardwork.

 “I am very happy, it would have been embarrassing if I had lost. I worked very hard to win and I don’t regret going to the Supreme Court, it was good I did, it helped me to win the election,” he said.

He also appealed for a second tenure of office during the next elections to be held in 2019. “I thank my people for voting for me, I’m asking they do same for me in four years time,” he said.

– By: Pius Amihere Eduku/citifmonline.com

No comments:

Post a Comment