Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Mozambique: I will "control the constitution... and all the other laws”- opposition leader

Afonso Dhlakama, leader of Mozambique's former rebel movement Renamo, declared on Tuesday that democracy in Mozambique can only be strengthened with alternating forces occupying power.

Speaking in Milange, in the central province of Zambezia, Dhlakama claimed that the people of that region need a leader and a political party capable of satisfying their longings, and of promoting effective democracy and good governance.

“Let me be an example of good governance”, said Dhlakama as he urged the citizens of Milange to vote for Renamo in the general elections scheduled for 15 October.

He said he wanted to assume power because he is tired of unspecified people always disturbing the implementation of his plans to “serve Mozambicans well”

“I try to talk about peace, but somebody comes and provokes me”, he claimed. “I try to talk about democracy and development, and again they provoke me”.

He did not explain what he meant or who was “provoking” him. But the solution lay in citizens voting for him, since when he became President he would “control the Constitution of the Republic and all the other laws”.

“I feel that I am not serving you well”, he told the Milange rally. “When I try to serve you, along comes a little machine and provokes me. When I am President, nobody will provoke me and even if they do, nothing will happen to me because I will have all the laws and everything else under control”.

As a matter of prosaic fact, the President does not pass laws or change the constitution. Those are tasks of the country's parliament, the Assembly of the Republic. Any alteration to the constitution requires a two thirds majority in the Assembly.

To guarantee an effective peace in Mozambique, one that will last for many years, the only solution was to vote for him, Dhlakama declared.

Souce: AIM

No comments:

Post a Comment